format for Pacific Masters Open Water swims
(Last Update: June 3, 2015)
|(GIVE THIS TO THE RESULTS PERSON!)|
|Results must be in Excel format (.csv perferred, but .xls or .xlsx is acceptable)|
|Each row contains either:
- the result for a single swimmer,
- Titling, column labels, empty line, or descriptive text to help readability (ignored by accumulated points processing.) RESTRICTION: Don't make the first column look like a gender/age group field or contain the word "wetsuit".
|Column A||B||C||D||E||F||G||H||I||J||K and beyondÉ|
(see below for specific format)
(REQD) [Leave empty if no data]
[This is the USMS # or USA #, depending on the swimmer's affiliation.]
of the swim [HH:MM:SS.th]
information for your use (ignored by accumulated points processing)
|EXAMPLE (correct) (This example was taken from a race in 2013. Names and reg numbers were changed slightly.)|
|DIV||DIVPLACE5||LAST NAME||FIRST NAME||MI||CLUB||AGE||REG #||BIRTHDATE||TIME5||NO.||OALLPLACE5|
| - All results for a
specific gender/age group are grouped together (one swimmer's result per
- The results for each gender/age group must be ordered starting with 1st place.
- If the Middle Initial is not available (e.g. you didn't collect it) leave it empty. DO NOT slide columns to the left.
- It is acceptable to include titling and column headings as long as the contents of column A does not look like a gender/age group field or the word "Wetsuit".
- Empty rows can be inserted for readability.
- Use only one spreadsheet for all the results of a single race and category (i.e. Category 1 Men and Women of all age groups for a single race are on the same spreadsheet; Category 2 for the same race are a different spreadsheet.) Title the spreadsheet in some way to make it clear what the results are, e.g. "USMSResults_SPRINGLAKE1MILE2015-05-25-v2.csv" and "USMSResults_SPRINGLAKE1MILEWETSUIT2015-05-25-v2.csv" to distinguish between the Category 1 and Category 2 spreadsheets.
- If an age group contains no swimmers you don't have to post results for that empty age group.
- If you host multiple races then the results of each race must be on a seperate spreadsheet (I.e. the results for the 1 Mile swim must be
in a different spreadsheet from the results for the 2 Mile swim.)
- Team abbreviations only. No team names, no cities, etc.
- The Date of Birth must be written as mm/dd/yyyy (a single digit can be used for a month or day when appropriate.) The year must be 4 digits.
- The time of the swim must be in the form HH:MM:SS.th, where the "HH": is optional, as is the ".th". Note that the decimal point is required to seperate the tenths (instead of a colon) to avoid ambiguity in some cases.
- To show a swimmer that had an invalid swim, show a meaningful word in place of their Place (column B) and/or Time (column J.) Examples: "DQ" (disqualified), "DNF" (did not finish), "DNS" (did not swim), etc. A letter in the Place and/or Time field will automatically prevent the swimmer from receiving points in that race.
- NOTE that is is NOT necessary to flag non-PacMasters swimmers in the results. (They will be discovered during points analysis.)
- Put OEVT in the Reg # field for One Event Registration participants.
|Email Bob Upshaw (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Phyllis Quinn (email@example.com) if you have any questions.|
|A Valid CSV Example|
|Here is the above correct example in CSV form:
DIV,DIVPLACE5,LAST NAME,FIRST NAME,MI,CLUB,AGE,REG #,BIRTHDATE,TIME5,NO.,OALLPLACE5
|The race results that you
produce are posted on the PacMasters web site, possibly the USMS web site,
and other locations of your choosing.
It's advantageous for the swimmers if the format of all race results
is the same across all postings.
More importantly: your results are used as input to a program that generates the accumulated open water results for all PacMasters/USMS/USA swimmers. If your results deviate from the above format it's likely that there will be errors in the accumulated results, which will affect the points standings of the swimmers and their teams. Obviously we want to strive for close-to-real-time correct results and point standings, and we need your help to do that.